In conjunction with the upcoming exhibition “Open Dialogues: Stories from the LGBTQ Community,” the Art and Culture Center/Hollywood invites artists to create an original Pride/Ally-themed flag that will hang from the flagpole at the entrance to the Main Gallery at 1650 Harrison Street. In addition, miniature replica flags will be produced and given away to visitors at the opening reception and additional events during “Open Dialogues.” The flag will be on view from February 8 – May 15, 2020.
The selected flag will support the goals of “Open Dialogues,” which is to engage with the stories and identities of a diverse cross-section of LGBTQ residents while fostering conversations within the community at large. The project includes a newly commissioned video and exhibition, as well as special events.
ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can apply.
AWARD: $150 honorarium will be awarded for the selected proposal.
ENTRY FEE: No fee.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: Wednesday, December 18, 2019.
All proposals must be submitted via email to email@example.com. Only electronic submissions will be judged. Applications will be judged by the Advisory Committee for the “Open Dialogues” initiative at Art and Culture Center/Hollywood. Deadline for submission is December 18, 2019. Applicants will be notified upon confirmation of the selected flag.
Questions may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To complete the application participants must submit the following:
- Project design – please submit your flag design in a JPEG or PDF file. The images can be no larger than 5MB with a maximum number of 5 images.
- Project proposal with description in 350 words or less describing your design.
- Artist statement in 250 words or less.
- Resume(s) or bio(s) and website of artist(s).
By submitting a proposal, each participant, if selected, agrees to the conditions below.
- The design selected by the jurors must be created as described in the proposal.
- Participants may not change their design between selection and exhibition without consent from the Advisory Committee for the “Open Dialogues” initiative.
- If the project is not as proposed originally, Art and Culture Center/Hollywood has the right to cancel the design and select another submission.
- By submitting this proposal, each artist acknowledges that the submitted images are original works created by the artist, that the photography does not infringe on any copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has a right, title, claim or interest in the photography.
- The artist must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of all artwork entered, or if work is copied from a photograph or other image that is not the artist’s own, the artist must have permission in writing from the copyright owner to use his or her work.
- Art and Culture Center/Hollywood will host an opening reception to “debut the selected flag.”
- Replica flags will be distributed to the general public for free at the opening reception as well as during the exhibition and at additional events. Event dates will be determined by the Center.
- The artist will be requested to attend the opening reception on February 8, 2020 from 5-7pm.
- Art and Culture Center/Hollywood will promote the creation of this flag via the Center’s website, email and social media. An announcement will be released following selection.
- Art and Culture Center/Hollywood encourages the artist to share that their design has been selected for the production of this special flag.
- Permission for the Center to photograph and reproduce any work submitted to the exhibition for publicity purposes is considered granted unless otherwise stated in writing.
- Please include Art and Culture Center/Hollywood tags @artandculturecenter on Instagram and Art and Culture Center/Hollywood on Facebook.
- The produced flag may be picked up by the artist after the close of the exhibition, May 15, 2020, or donated to the Art and Culture Center/Hollywood.
FLAG DESIGN DETAILS:
The produced flag design will be a 3:2 ratio. The final produced flag will be 72 inches (wide) x 48 inches (height).