West Palm Beach, FL, Unknown
OUTSIDE THE BOX4, curated by Lisa Rockford, is the 4th biennial exhibition of outdoor, site-specific art in Palm Beach County. This unique and alternative format, situated at the prestigious Whitespace – The Mordes Collection, features innovative, contemporary installations and performances that interact with the landscape & outdoor environment. Whitespace is located at 2805 N. Australian Avenue in West Palm Beach, 33407. The 2016 event featured 45 installations and performances, attracted hundreds of art enthusiasts, and covered extensively in the press.
Prizes total $1500, including $1000 Best in Show, and a $500 First place.
Prize Jury Panel: Lisa Rockford – Independent Curator, Adrienne Chadwick, Deputy director of Education, Perez Art Museum, and more TBA
Open call for proposals from artists within reasonable driving distance of South Florida* (*Artists must be able to be on site for all dates listed below).
· Installation Art, Sculpture/Mixed Media, Inflatables, Video Art, New Media, Sound, And Performances are ideal.
· The curator will give preference to installations that include interactive and/or multi-sensory elements, and incorporate or adapt well to the site.
· All Installations should incorporate a light source and have visual impact/high aesthetic appeal.
Whitespace, The Mordes Collection is located on a lake waterfront with a sand beach, and features a landscape with a long stretch of grass, elements of bushes and trees and a building with concrete walls and a wrap around tarmac.
· Before creating your proposal, we recommend viewing images from the previous OUTSIDE THE BOX3 exhibit here: http://rockfordprojects. weebly.com/outside-the-box-3.html
Factors to consider for Installations:
· All proposals must take the site into consideration.
Site-specific art = Artwork created to exist in a certain place. The artist takes the location into account while planning and creating the artwork.
o Please view photos of the exhibitions site without artwork, to find potential places where your art could be installed: http://rockfordprojects. weebly.com/outside-the-box4. html
· The curator will select the best suited spaces for each artist based on their proposal, therefore the more specific your proposal, the better. Artists will be given the opportunity to visit the site and discuss their allotted area at least 4 months prior to installation.
· All exhibition spaces are outdoors, will remain outside for 3 days, and proposals must consider nature’s unpredictable elements. Artists must have a storm/rain plan. (With permission, some electronics such as projectors can be stored inside the air-conditioned garage overnight.)
· Any artwork in the water must be anchored.
· The exhibition committee comprised of Director of Whitespace, Elayne Mordes, and Curator; Lisa Rockford will make all exhibition selections. If necessary, in some cases the exhibition committee may suggest or request adaptations to the methods or materials proposed.
· Proposals will not be accepted after October 1, 2017.
· Selected Artists will be notified by October 22, 2017.
Selected artists must be available for the following dates:
Site Visits: Site visits are required. All Artists must be available to meet with the curator on site to view and discuss the assigned space on either October 27, 28, or 29, 2017.
Installation Dates: All artists install artwork between March 7 – 9, 2018.
(Installation must be completed by 5pm on March 9).
o Earlier installation may be possible upon request if the setup requires more than 8 hours of
o Exhibition Dates: Friday, March 9, 2018 (7:30 – 10:30pm) & Saturday, March 10 (5pm – 10:30pm)
o Ticketed VIP Tours with the Curator & Artists will be on Saturday, March 10, 2pm – 5pm
De-Installation: Sunday March 11, 2016 by 3:00 p.m.
Smaller installations with quick de-install may be removed immediately after the event on Saturday.
1. Send jury fee payment through PayPal to email@example.com
Be sure to click “PERSONAL” so that Paypal does not deduct a fee.
Type your “OTB4 Entry & YOUR NAME” in the Notes attached to the payment
Applications will not be considered without verification of payment of the jury fee.
$30.00 is for the first proposal through PayPal or by mailed Check. Add $5.00 for each additional installation proposal. (2 proposals = $35, or 3 proposals = $40.00)
Collaborative teams of more than one artist submitting a proposal together only need to pay one jury fee.
Include the following in ONE Email:
2. Signed, Completed “Artist Application Form” (attached). Take a photo or a scan of it and attach to the email.
3. Curriculum Vitae or Artist Resume/Bio
4. Documentation of previous artwork: Attach Images or website link where artwork similar to proposed work can be viewed.
Images should be in .jpg, .png, .tiff, or .pdf format and at least 500k.
Images should be titled in this format: LastName_FirstName_ ArtworkTitle_1.jpg
Video art, documentation of performances, or sound files should be sent via website links.
5. Proposed artwork: Sketch of proposed installation. Please provide a detailed drawing/sketch, or digital mockup of the work you are proposing to create for the exhibit.
· If you are proposing to exhibit pre-existing works, specify which images represent the work to be shown, and a description or sketch of how you propose to be show the work in this exhibit.
Proposal Images should be titled: LastName_FirstName_Sketch_1. jpg
6. In body of the email, add detailed description of the concept / proposal text.
For Installations, Include the following in your proposal description:
1) Explain the specific type of space needed or preferred: In water, on sand, on Grass, in bushes, hanging from tree, on asphalt driveway, projected on blank wall, etc.
2) Explain the approximate size of the area needed (height, width, depth, etc).
3) Give detailed installation plans including the specific materials you intend to use, and description of installation methods to be used. Note: All installations must be temporary. NO use of nails, screws etc. may be used.
4) Explain how lighting will be incorporated into the installation. If lighting is not directly incorporated into the piece, Battery powered or Solar LED flood or spotlights are recommended.
5) Explain if your work is weatherproof, or your plan if it storms or rains.
6) Discuss your aims for viewer interaction with the work.
Note: Artists may submit more than one proposal for consideration.
We will print and distribute a schedule of performances during the event. Please indicate in your proposal:
1) The time length/duration, and number of times each night the performance would happen.
2) Describe the specific type of site or space needed.
3) If the performance is part of an installation, please attach the above requirements as well.
4) Attach links to similar work, or documentation of a previous version of the performance.
All application materials should be sent by Email to: outsidetheboxcurator@ gmail.com
*(Maximum 20 mb Total can be sent in one email. For larger sizes, use Google drive.)