Please keep in mind that due to COVID-19, events should be verified directly with the organization prior to attending.
***LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY PLEASE***
Palm Beach Opera is looking for a professional, highly-organized, multi-tasking expert for our Special Events Manager position. A creative go-getter with the ability to greet any challenge with determination and a positive attitude is required to be successful in this position. The Special Events and Corporate Relations Manager position is part of the Institutional Advancement Department and is responsible for managing all company special events, as well as cultivating and generating corporate support or underwriting for all events and programs. This position reports to the Managing Director and works in close collaboration with all members of the Institutional Advancement team, the General Director, and Board members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage all aspects of company special events, including but not limited to communicating with vendors, management of RSVP lists, event seating, menus and caterers, event entertainment arrangements, décor arrangements, management of all staff and volunteers, as well as design and creation of all event collateral materials
• Increase underwriting and sponsorships for all special events (i.e. Gala, Co-Producer Society Dinners, Opening Night Dinners, Board of Director functions, etc.) as well as PBO’s overall programs and productions by securing new corporate partners
• Create and implement new revenue generating events in collaboration with Managing Director, General Director, and Board members; participate in securing underwriting and locations
• Secure in-kind contributions and be willing to ASK for discounts and free items
• Manage all aspects of company Annual Gala, including cultivation of corporate underwriters or sponsors, and working closely with Gala Committee (where appropriate) and Chairs
• Plan and organize board dinners, board meeting events, and donor receptions or events at Palm Beach Opera offices, PBO Production Center, local restaurants, country clubs, and patron homes
• Plan and organize out-of-state board and donor cultivation dinners and receptions
• Maintain a good working relationship and open communication with other staff members by coordinating schedules with other programs and events
• Assure the safety of visitors, staff, and facilities by following and enforcing all related policies and procedures in the planning and execution of events
• Manage all event budgets with emphasis on cost control
• Prepare monthly expense reports for all company events
• Process contracts, letters, correspondence, and memoranda as needed for all events
• Provide direction and guidance for donor recognition, correspondence and gift fund stewardship
• Manage and expand event volunteer program
• Maintain a flexible schedule that will require working some nights and weekends during season
This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job.
New Hire Qualifications
• 3-5 years of event coordinating or managing experience is required – preferably in not-for-profit development
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Knowledge of opera and the performing arts a plus Business/Computer Skills
• Proficient in business writing, procedures, and correspondence
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Effective presentation of information and strong spoken language skills
• Experience working with Choice CRM and/or other fundraising databases
• Intermediate to advanced computer skills: experience in a Windows environment utilizing Word (experience with Mail Merge required), Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
• A dependable, enthusiastic, extremely detail-oriented multitasker with a “whatever it takes” attitude and pleasing personality
• Ability to think creatively and strategically about event communications and messaging
• Ability to work in a high volume, deadline-driven environment
• Adept at problem-solving, critical thinking, and using judgment in situations that require sensitivity and tact
• Willingness to take initiative, keep a positive attitude, and maintain a professional demeanor Hours of Work
• The Special Events & Corporate Relations Manager is a full-time exempt position and is required to attend and supervise events and be present after hours during the Opera Season (typically November – April).
Please forward your cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and work samples in pdf format to:
Palm Beach Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national
origin, religion, ancestry, sex, age, familial status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and
expression, disability or genetic information.