Remember that amazing jazz concert at the park you went to with friends? Or that time you met that fascinating artist at a gallery? Or took your children or grandchildren to their first live theater performance? Shared experiences are indeed among the greatest gifts you can give. During the holiday season, the greater Fort Lauderdale area holds a treasure trove of opportunities that you can share with family and friends.
If you’re in need of ideas, a great place
to look is artscalendar.com, Broward
County’s complete guide to the arts, with times and locations for theater,
music, dance, visual arts and museums, film and videos, poetry and literature,
and all kinds of kids and family activities.
Still searching for the perfect gift? We’ve got you covered. There’s something in the arts for everyone. Here are some more ideas:
- NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale for unique jewelry, art books, home design items, artful scarves, handbags, and exhibition-themed merchandise / nsuartmuseum.org >
- Museum of Discovery & Science’s Explore Store for crystal-growing kits, books, puzzles, and other items sure to capture a child’s imagination / mods.org >
- ArtServe’s gift store features locally made artwork and cards / ArtServe.org >
- IS Projects, a printmaking and arts studio where you can buy books, journals, art prints, cards and posters; or treat someone to a workshop where you can learn about indigo dyeing, marbling, letterpress printing on t-shirts or how to make your own holiday cards / isProjectsfl.com >
- Visit art walks for more local goods / FatVillage.com >
- Or go straight to the makers themselves – visiting the studio of an artist is an enlightening experience. In Bloom Studio, in MASS District, where artist/designer Luke Jenkins makes his distinct furniture like the piece in this photo / inbstudio.com >
- Thinking Cap Theatre, which presents thought-provoking plays and performances at The Vanguard / VanguardArts.org; pick up tickets for an upcoming show or gift someone a season pass, which includes the opportunity to attend a rehearsal and a free glass of wine for $135
- Sarah Glass Ceramics, where you can purchase handmade ceramics or gift a pottery class for all levels at $50 / SarahGlassCeramics.com >
- Symphony of the Americas performs all season at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts and tickets at select shows start at just $20 / SymphonyoftheAmericas.org >
- D.A.R.T. (Dillard Center for the Arts) Foundation which helps students reach their artistic potential; buy tickets to “The Chocolate Nutcracker” or Elton John’s award-winning musical “Aida” with performances through February / SupportDART.org >
- Stranahan House boasts a line-up of festive happenings through the New Year, including “Holiday River Tours” and “History Happy Hours” StranahanHouse.org >
- Sunrise Pops opens its 33rd season Nov. 24 presenting music from ‘Back to the Future’, The Beach Boys, Funny Girl medley and more with season subscriptions for $75 / SunrisePops.org >
- Art Fort Lauderdale, the art fair on the water hosted Jan. 23-26 where guests traverse the intracoastal waterways to curated homes artftlauderdale.com >
- Stonewall National Museum & Archives for ongoing exhibitions, events and opportunities that preserve the LGBTQ culture / stonewall-museum.org >
AND MORE (gift certificate ideas)
- Music or dance
- Local breweries
that sell locally, and artisan made beers, etc.
- Co-working spaces
like the new Creative Café by Capital One on Las Olas
- Remember that the
gift of membership to local institutions like NSU Art Museum or Young at Art
Museum in Davie, gives the gift of year-long activities, events and discounts.
The best part is all of these unique
gifts also support the arts, our local economy, and help build a stronger and
more vibrant community.
And that’s a gift that keeps on